© Chuck Duboff
- With players like Little, Perrault, Armia and Myers injured, the Jets demonstrate their incredible depth and keep on putting up W’s.
- Nic Petan’s skating has improved dramatically; his stick handling is second to none.
- I love the line of Lowry, Copp and Tanev; hard working, fast and skilled. Tanev has the makings of a Gallagher, Marchand type player. Remember this about Brandon Tanev; he was a free agent coming out of University and lots of NHL teams wanted to sign him…he chose the Jets. Says a lot about this franchise and how its run.
- Having the Manitoba Moose right here in Winnipeg has paid huge dividends for this franchise; when players are needed, it doesn’t take a day and a half to get them here from St. Johns…it’s a simple walk down the hall.
- Speaking of the Moose…Coach Maurice and Coach Vincent spent the summer designing systems to be employed this season; it is quite apparent that Vincent is doing a great job of coaching, as any Moose player who is called up to the big club is seamlessly fitting in.
- Mark Scheifele has always said he wants to be one of the best in the NHL; his work ethic, training and love of the game is paying off, as he is now leading the league in points…and only getting better.
- Really, really impressed with the play of Josh Morrisey…ability is one thing, but his smarts and confidence level having him playing great hockey.
- Though he doesn’t have any goals yet, the Big Man, Dustin Byfuglien, sure looks like he is having fun.
- Jets couldn’t have picked anyone better to be their captain. Blake Wheeler demonstrates leadership on every shift, and is a great role model for the younger players.
- So, if you’re Coach Maurice and you have Bryan Little, Matthieu Perrault, Joel Armia, Shawn Mathias, Drew Stafford and Tyler Myers all coming back at some point…who do you sit? I guess that’s why he makes the big bucks…I have no idea.
- I don’t think Drew Stafford can play at the pace the Jets do…he may be a good depth player or trade bait at the deadline.
- Burmi has been given all sorts of opportunities to play and still is not producing…I would suggest he’ll be one of the players in the press box when the injured crew comes back.
- Great seeing Connor Helleybucyk taking charge. With each game he plays, his confidence level grows and we are starting to see the goaltender we expected.
- Patrik Laine…I think the kid has a future in the NHL. 12 goals in 18 games, pretty, pretty, good.
- Nikolai Ehlers is so incredibly fast and has great vision with the puck.
- Given a chance to play regularly, Paul Postma has not looked out of place.
- Coach Maurice was asked what message he would send to his players as they head out on a 5 game road trip: “Bring a lot of underwear!!”
- The plan…as Chicago has done on their long run of playoff and Stanley Cup victories. The Jets have finally accumulated a significant amount of “talented depth” so that players are called up from the Moose, they know they may only have shot to impress…so they are playing at 100% all the time. In fact, I would suggest the Jets are playing even better with the kids right now than they were when all the injured veterans were in the lineup. Chevy has been a master at accumulating high end draft picks…the Kane and Ladd trades stock piled the Jets with talented players (Myers, Armia, Dano, Roslovic, Lemieux, etc) and draft picks. He has stuck to his plan and not panicked.
- Really impressed with Jacob Trouba’s game; playing significant minutes and playing very well. He’s on a two year cap friendly deal now and I’m certain he’s determined to get “the big contract” at the end of the two years. If he plays at this level, he will have earned it!!
- The Big Man sure enjoys playing hockey…you’ve gotta watch this video:
- Five game road trip: lets come home with at least 6 out of 10 points…no reason they can’t.