© Chuck Duboff
Truth be told, I have always been afraid of clowns. As a kid I would get so scared any time I’d see a clown; I remember at the circus that the clowns were supposed to be the fun part of the show…not for me, i was terrified. I know I’m not the only one…anytime the subject of clowns comes up, it amazes me how so many people are afraid of and do not like clowns. Even one Cozmo Kraemer was afraid of clowns.
Below you will find an interesting article by the Smithsonian Institute of the psychology of clowns being scary.
There is a very simple poll question: Do you like clowns, yes or no?
© Chuck Duboff
– Imagine this scenario unfolding: The Jets play Calgary on the last day of the season. What if that game turns out to be a winner take all…who ever wins the game gets in the playoffs…loser is out. It’s still regular season…could you fathom your whole season coming down to a SHOOTOUT!!! The possibility is very real…It is almost surreal to think that the season could come down to a skills competition.
– I’ve always known that there is a piece of me that loves the lifestyle of Sons of Anarchy…don’t think I would have had the stomach for it, but, daymn I love that show. Somedays I’m Clay, some days I’m Jax and some Oppie…bought the whole series and it sure is a nice escape from the “real world”.
– What more can you say about Paul Maurice than he should get a lot of votes for Coach of the Year; the transformation of this Jets this year is phenomenal. How he has got them playing winning hockey in this playoff race, without Big Buff, Little, Perrault and Chairot, is truly amazing!!
– Jax from Sons of Anarchy; Jessie from Breaking Bad and Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights; my kinda guys.
– Check out Matt Duboff Photography for some absolutely amazing shots of the Northern Lights this past week; one very proud dad.
– Benjamin Netenyahu and Barak Obama…Showdown at the OK Coral.
– Brian Bowman talks a good game and has a smile that at this point seems plastic.
– Yup, there are two players in the Majors called: Mark Hamburger and Joey Pancake:
– We had a lot of people view the poll we put up regarding Bill C51, yet only 14 people voted…with 12 voting their opposition to the Bill, while 2 voted for it. I find that very interesting, as I know of several people who would be afraid to vote on the poll for fear of being caught expressing their opinion publicly. That in essence is the reason for the opposition to the Bill; this Bill will infringe on your civil liberties, your right to express your opinion, your right to privacy. IF YOU CHOOSE TO NOT SPEAK UP IN OPPOSITION TO THIS BILL, YOU ARE IN EFFECT GIVING HARPER AND HIS GOVERNMENT PERMISSION TO READ YOUR E-MAIL, FOLLOW YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT, ETC…WAKE UP PEOPLE, WAKE UP!! Don’t sit idly by while your government takes away your rights. Read George Orwell’s 1984…
– Ondrej Pavalic…what a story…The Redemption of a Goalie. After being hammered by fans and media for the past few seasons, including this frustrated season ticket holder, I am happy for Pav and how he has played these last three games. Perhaps that fluke goal from centre ice will be looked at in hindsight as the moment when he became a front line goalie!! At least, here’s hoping he leads us to the playoffs!!
– Thx Geoff; 24/7!!!
– Cabin booked for May 14th – May 18th and for a week in July. Sweeeeeeet!!
– Laine really did something special for her Zaida Chuck…she put a lot of time and effort into the picture she made for me of the logos of all the NHL teams; and then the talk we had on the phone later that evening…so grown up, so taken aback by how much that picture meant to me. Getting it framed so that years from now she and I can both look at it and smile. Thank you Laine.
– I stated this in a blog earlier this week when I was commenting on Bill C51; I lived in Havana, Cuba for almost a month…during this time I was exposed to the real Cuba…not the “tourist’s Cuba”. I lived with a friend in a home we rented. I was constantly told to speak quietly when talking about the government; “Chuck, that ‘s the secret police, quiet”…Many times I saw police cars pull up and just grab people and put them in the cars; I was told that secret government people live on every block, so be careful what you say. This is the reality the people in Cuba live. Well, if you do nothing, if you pretend like that won’t happen in Canada…then you are fooling yourself. With Bill C51 the government will have the right to search and seizure WITHOUT A WARRANT; they will have the right to read your e-mail; follow your Twitter account; there will be an end to peaceful demonstrations…that’s not a Canada I want to live in…I’ve experienced it and it’s not fun!!!
If the election for Mayor of the City of Winnipeg were held today, whom would you vote for:
****A MECHANISM IS SET UP SO THAT NOBODY CAN VOTE TWICE; IT RECOGNIZES IP ADDRESSES AND INDICATES THAT WE HAVE CAST YOUR VOTE ALREADY; WHEN SETTING UP THE POLL, WE CHECKED IT OUT, AND IN FACT, DURING A SIMULATION, WERE NOT ABLE TO VOTE TWICE.****
Winnipeg Jets End of Season Awards and Analysis, by Jets fans.
Be sure to cast your vote at the end of this blog for the Jets’ MVP.
Jets MVP: Wheeler
Best forward: Wheeler
Best defence man: Stuart
Best goalie: Montoya
Best rookie: Trouba
Most improved: tie- Scheiffelle and Little
Heart and soul of team: Stuart
Weakest link: Pavelec
Area in most need of improvement: Goaltending
If GM for a day first move: remove Pavelec from team
Future player I want to see: Morrissey
Biggest disappointment: Pavelec (Bogisian close second).
Biggest surprise: the childish attitude of some of the players and how they just collapsed in my opinion on purpose to drive out coach noel.
The one thing needed to make playoffs: top 15 starting goalie.
Overall assessment of team: Seems to be heading the right direction. Considering a change from east to west and new coach and Olympic break I feel they are on the right path to success. The removal of a few pieces like Setoguchi, Pavelec, Ellerby, and Kane and some key re signings of Montoya(as backup only) and jokinen and postma, along with off season signing of better #1 goalie maybe Elliot or cam ward. We will be on the correct path. If Pavelec is bought out I doubt Halak is an option as both goalies have the same scumbag agent. Also Kane has been on the downward slide year after year. The “potential” due to his age is BS. Selanne was breaking rookie scoring titles at that age. Kane might be a star one day which I doubt, but not with the teammates he currently plays with. Fans can’t be upset if he moves to another team and flourishes cause it’s probably the only way he will be a star.
Jets MVP: Blake Wheeler
Best Forward: Blake Wheeler
Best Defence man: Jacob Trouba
Best Goalie: Al Montoya
Best Rookie: Jacob Trouba
Most Improved: Mark Scheiffle
Heart and Soul of the team: Mark Stuart
Weakest Link: Goaltenders
Area in most need of improvement: Goaltending
GM for a day, first move: Buy out Ondrej Pavelec
Future Player I want to see: Adam Lowrey
Biggest Disappointment: Devon Setagucchi
Biggest Surprise: Michael Frolic
The one thing needed to make the playoffs: Learn to play hard every night
Overall assessment: I really believe the Jets are making major progress; it’s difficult as a fan to watch the Jets stick to their plan of draft and develop. We need to remain realistic that we are a small market team and can’t make the big splashes. My first priority is getting Paul Maurice signed to a three year contract; he has what it takes and will get the Jets over the hump with a full season to work with. Secondly, I would buy out Ondrej Pavelec and trade or sign a goalie. Pav just hasn’t shown that he’s the man. Montoya is a back-up, that’s it. Hoping that Morrisey and Lowrey crack the lineup next season. I am very optimistic and just hope that both the media and fans remain patient and see the progress that is happening with this plan.
Jets MVP: Ladd
Jets Best Forward:Wheeler
Jets Best Defence man: abstain
Jets Best Goalie: Montoya
Jets Best Rookie: Trouba
Jets Most Improved: Scheifele
Jets Heart and Soul: Stuart
Jets weakest link: defense*
*unless you have an elite goalie (we don’t) you will not make the playoffs until the team plays consistent team defense. Other teams have been letting us get low percentage shots on net (Evander) then rushing up the ice and getting high percentage shots and scoring.
Jets MVP: Wheeler by a nod over Ladd
Jets Best Forward: Wheeler
Jets Best Defence man: Trouba
Jets Best Goalie: They don’t have one
Jets Best Rookie: Trouba by a landslide
Jets Most Improved: ??? Sheifele
Jets Heart and Soul: Mark Stuart
Jets weakest link: Goal
Jets area that needs most improving: Attitude – playing hard every game
If you were Jets GM for one day…the first move you would make: Get Paul Maurice to sign a contract
Jets “future player” you are most excited to see: After Trouba who will in time become the franchise, probably Morrissey
Jets biggest disappointment this season: 1. Noel 2. Pavelec 3. Bagosian
Jets biggest surprise this season: Trouba – ice time & skill for a rookie
Jets: what is the one thing needed to get them into the playoffs next year: There’s more than one but Paul Maurice is the best bet
Your overall assessment of the 2013-2014 season: They are getting better in a much tougher division but they still need more internal competition for jobs.
Jets MVP: Blake Wheeler
Jets best defence man: Jacob Trouba (by 6 lengths)
Jets best goalie: Al Montoya
Jets best rookie: Jacob Trouba
Most improved player: Mark Scheifele
Jets heart and soul: Mark Scheifele
Jets weakest link: lack of depth
Jets area that needs the most improvement: 4th line forwards.
GM for a day, first move: sign Cam Ward
Biggest disappointment: Zach Bagosian
Biggest surprise: Ollie Jokinen
One thing needed to make the playoffs: star quality goaltending
Glimpses of the future: Trouba, Scheifele, Wheeler just keeps getting better.
Future stars: Petan, Kosmachuck, Morrissey,Lowry, Comrie, Helleybuck, Hutchison
Key players who need to keep improving: Ladd, Little, Kane, Enstrom, Pav, Ellerby
Key vets to guid the youth: Jokinen and Stuart
I find it difficult to process that possession of marijuana is a crime; yet, at the same time, a substance which results in addiction, leads to death and cancer, a substance that kills innocent individuals and puts a strain on health care budgets, is condoned by governments. Politicians are addicted to the cash cow of taxes imposed on alcohol sales and consumption.
I have used marijuana and at no time did I ever feel like I was an angry toker (angry drunk anyone?) At no time have I ever felt an insatiable need for a joint (the alcoholic need for a drink). As a matter of fact, anytime, I mean anytime I have used pot, I simply got very chilled and the comedian in me has taken over. I have been around many consumers of alcohol who are terrifying to be around, mean, hurtful and a danger to all those around them. The facts speak for themselves…our government is hooked on the tax revenue that alcohol produces!! Then why doesn’t the government legalize marijuana (hello Colorado and Washington) and accrue the revenues from the taxes that will be imposed on the sale of marijuana? Medicinal marijuana anyone? Medicinal alcohol…an oxymoron if I ever read one.
I have attached the following for your reading pleasure (source: Safer Choice.Org)…join in the conversation, leave your comments.